Over millions of years our bodies have evolved and are intimately tied to the cycle of day and night. What is clear from all studies on sleep is how important good sleep is to our mental and physical well-being. The Guardian newspaper analysed 320 studies on sleep in a large scale report and found that with reduced sleep people suffer from a range of health issues and in extreme cases sleep deprivation can even lead to death.
Are You Getting the Sleep Your Body Needs?
The National Sleep Foundation in the US conducted a study that shows the recommended time we should be sleeping each night. Their recommendations are based on age. This is because different age groups and activity levels require more or less sleep.
The recommendations are per 24-hours:
- Newborns should be enjoying between 14-17 hours of sleep.
- Infants and toddlers should sleep at least 11-15 hours
- 3-4-year-olds should rest between 10-13 hours daily.
- School-aged children, 9-11 hours nightly.
- Teens should rest 8-10 hours.
- Adult bodies need approximately 7-9 hours, depending on age and activities.
General Tips to Enjoy a Better Night’s Sleep
These tips are more general and do not take into account specific health concerns that may be keeping you awake. More on those below.
Getting back to having a good night’s rest is not always easy. It does come with sacrifices at first, but in the end, it will be worth it. Harvard Health provides tips that can make it easier for you to get better sleep. These tips include:
- A tired body and mind are more likely to enjoy a more restful nights sleep. Exercise every day.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol. These are stimulants that can prevent you from falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Calm yourself, your body, and your mind as you prepare for bed. You can do this by taking a hot shower or bath, meditating or listening to calming music.
If your sleep does not improve after trying these things, it may be time to talk to your doctor or look at the bed that you are using.
How to know if your bed and mattress are right for you
There are a very wide range of beds and mattresses available now and each of us may sleep better on a different type of mattress. You need to consider things such as whether you sleep on your front, back or side as well as your general health and in all cases your spine health. Those sleeping on their back or front may benefit from a firmer mattress whereas those who sleep on their side could benefit from a medium or softer mattress.
But aside from position the most important consideration is which type of mattress / bed best supports your spine – when sleeping you should not feel pressure on your spine – If you do then you may be sleeping in the wrong type of bed for you.
Those not experiencing any back pain, will generally find that a firm mattress is more comfortable. When we sleep on a firmer surface, the bones absorb the majority of the pressure, this means that there is less stress on our muscles, veins and arteries, and circulation is improved.
A firm mattress also supports your lower back and prevents it from sagging down, this allows greater oxygen intake while sleeping. Less sagging also means the weight of the body is distributed evenly, which means no one part of the body is carrying too much of your weight.
If you suffer from joint pain such as arthritis then a soft mattress may be far more suitable for you.
Likewise if you suffer from any back pain then a medium or soft mattress may suit you best – especially if you like to sleep on your side.
All of our adjustable beds come with a choice of soft, medium and firm mattresses – and for couples we can easily provide mattresses of different firmness so that you can get exactly what is best for each of you.
Better sleep for people with health problems
In addition to considering mattress type you should also look into whether you could benefit from an adjustable bed.
There are a number of health conditions where the use of an adjustable bed has been proven to make a significant difference to sleep quality.
- Improve blood circulation with an electric adjustable bed, you can assume sleeping positions that will reduce pressure allowing for increased blood flow to the heart and the entire body.
- An adjustable bed can be used to reduce lower back pain.
- With an adjustable bed frame, you can tilt the head to the recommended 6-inches that allows for better digestion of food while we sleep.
- An adjustable bed frame can reduce pressure on joints dealing with chronic arthritis and other similar joint pain.
- With an adjustable bed, the head can be lifted to generate enough gravity to take the pressure off the windpipe which reduces snoring, sleep apnea and asthma.
- Lying flat on a standard bed can mean that fluid gathers around joints in the legs. This causes pain, inflammation, swelling. By adjusting your bed base, you can raise your legs and greatly reduce swelling and pain.
- Maintaining a proper sleep position with a slightly raised head and legs will enhance blood and oxygen circulation to reduce cases of insomnia.
- When you sleep on a flat bed, acid from your stomach can flow from the stomach to the oesophagus. This unnatural migration of acids, leads to the feeling of acid reflux and heartburn. Experts have recommended a 5-6 inch inclining of the head to prevent the acid in the stomach from migrating to the oesophagus.
Our beds are fully equipped with these features and options:
- The adjustable beds come in a choice of firm, medium or soft mattresses. Couples can select a different mattress each.
- We offer adjustable bed sizes from small single to super-king-sized. You can choose the right size for you based on the specific measurements of your bedroom space. In every case, we can help you decide and set it up in the room of your choosing.
- Our mattresses have an optional built-in, gentle massage feature that can be useful for relieving aches and pains or helping you fall asleep. This can also give you a way to relax and unwind at the end of the most stressful days.
- The adjustable beds all come in your choice of 20 different fabrics to choose from. This allows you to create a space that matches your bedroom’s decor and can aid you in creating the most relaxing bedroom possible.
- There is a 15-year guarantee on all our adjustable beds.
- Anyone who suffers from a qualifying medical condition may qualify for full VAT exemption. This can provide you with 20% off of our adjustable bed purchase price.
If you would like more information on how to relax and improve your night’s sleep with an adjustable bed, we encourage you to contact us. We will help you make the best decision for your situation. This can be done via an online contact form, online chat, or by calling us at 01223 967 901.